Best Makeup Shades for Your Skin Tone
Best Makeup Shades for Your Skin Tone
Soft pink, tawny and beige tones work best for alabaster complexions. L.A. makeup artist Tasha Reiko Brown-Jovel, who has worked with Evan Rachel Wood and Brittany Snow, says to avoid orangey reds and frosty finishes-"they can make skin look sallow and washed out."
1. FOUNDATION: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in No. 2. This barely there buff gives pale skin a fresh sheen. $58; buy online now at giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
2. CONCEALER: Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat in No. 1. Its light-reflecting pigments banish dark circles without looking obvious. $40; buy online now at yslbeautyus.com.
Fair: Eyes and Cheeks
1. LIP LINER: MAC in Subculture. This creamy neutral shade defines lips without looking cartoonish. $13; buy online now at maccosmetics.com.
2. LIPSTICK: Yves Saint Laurent in Venus Rose. A sheer take on bright pink gives lips that just-bitten look. $30; buy online now at yslbeautyus.com.
3. LIP GLOSS: Estee Lauder in Honey Glaze. Bestows a subtle,toffee-colored shine without being sticky. $18; buy online now at esteelauder.com.
Spiced-up neutrals make fair tomedium skin tones look healthy-and enhance features withoutoverpowering them. Look foryellow undertones and gold flecksto take basic nudes and taupesfrom blah to beautiful, says N.Y.C.makeup artist Gita Bass, who workswith Elizabeth Banks.
1. FOUNDATION: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in No. 4. Golden yellow undertones dress skin in a smooth, flatteringglow. $58; buy online now at giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
2. CONCEALER: Cle de Peau Beaute in Beige. One tiny dot counteracts bluish shadows and red spots. $70; buy online now at neimanmarcus.com.
Medium-Fair: Eyes and Cheeks
1. EYE SHADOW: Nars in Corfu. This pearlescent beige cream is so sheer and blendable, it's nearly impossible to overdo. $21; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
2. BLUSH: Nars in Orgasm. Peachy pink with a dusting of gold, it delivers a feminine sun-kissed flush. $25; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
1. LIP LINER: MAC in Spice. The reddish brown hue warms up lips but is versatile enough to work with any lipstick. $13; buy online now at maccosmetics.com.
2. LIPSTICK: Givenchy in Beige Shine. A swipe of this creamy peach gives lips a polished look with just a hint of color. $27; buy online now at sephora.com.
3. LIP GLOSS: Nars in Chelsea Girls. This earthy nude is not too pink or too brown-the perfect partner for a dramatic eye. $24; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
Consider yourself lucky: Makeup artists say that this skin tone canhandle the widest range of colors-from the punchiest brights to the palest pastels. For a more natural look, Brett Freedman, who workswith Vanessa Hudgens, suggests dewy shades with names like caramel and honey.
1. FOUNDATION: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in No. 8. Evens out skin and imparts radiance without a trace of muddy brown or orange. $58; buy online now at giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
2. CONCEALER: Cle de Peau Beaute in Ocher. A yellowy beige that's slightly lighter than your skin can tackleundereye shadows. $70; buy online now at neimanmarcus.com.
Medium-Dark: Eyes and Cheeks
1. EYE SHADOW: Estee Lauder in Copper Penny. A metallic brown brightens eyes without being overly sparkly. $18; buy online now at esteelauder.com.
2. BLUSH: Kevyn Aucoin in Tansoleil. A swoosh of vibrant pink from your apples to your cheekbones gives pretty definition. $24; buy online now at kevynaucoin.com.
1. LIP LINER: Rimmel London in Tiramisu. This warm caramel looks like your own lip tone, just a little richer. $3; visit cvs.com for stores.
2. LIPSTICK: Clinique in Black Honey. An ultra-sheer berry gives just the right amount of vampy drama for day ornight. $14; buy online now at clinique.com.
3. LIP GLOSS: Nars in Turkish Delight. To really make lips pop, slick on this white-based pink. $24; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
To add depth and definition tolips, cheeks and eyes, look for richmetallic hues like burnt copper andbronze or bright berry tones. Whenit comes to foundation, "the darkerthe skin, the more spot-on you haveto be with color," says L.A. makeupartist Vanessa Scali.
1. FOUNDATION: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in No. 11. A warm chocolate-colored base with just enough red to counteract ashiness. $58; buy online now at giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
2. CONCEALER: Bobbi Brown in Chestnut. This extra-hydrating cream won't make skin look dull. $22; buy online now at bobbibrowncosmetics.com.
Dark: Eyes and Cheeks
1. LIP LINER: MAC in Chestnut. Use it to line and fill in lips, then top with clear gloss for a really natural look. $13; buy online now at maccosmetics.com.
2. LIPSTICK: Lancome in Brick House. Most reds tend to look pink on dark skin; this chocolate-cherry hue won't. $25; buy online now at lancome-usa.com.
3. LIP GLOSS: Chanel in Bubble Plum. A pigment-packed violet gloss that delivers a beautiful punch of color. $27; buy online now at uma.chanel.com.