10 Ways to go from Day to Night
10 Ways to go from Day to Night
Make a Statement
- To transform a daytime LBD, lose the cardigan and add some baubles. "Bigger is better for evening," says stylist George Kotsiopoulos. "And you can't go wrong with a bit of sparkle, especially if your starting point is a simple dress without much embellishment." Try a pair of colorful danglers or layers of gold chains ("you can get great faux ones at Forever 21") plus a gold cuff.
- Swarovski-crystal earrings, Elizabeth Cole Jewelry, $373; elizabethcolejewelry.com.
Stock Your Desk
- Invest in a mini flatiron or curling iron so you can smooth out waves or refine curls in minutes. If you have fine hair, get some dry shampoo too; it will revitalize and bulk up strands. Prone to frizz? Slick hair back with a small amount of gel (or conditioner) for a fashion-forward "wet" look.
- CHI Air Expert Baby mini flatiron, $25; target.com.
- Klorane Extra-Gentle dry shampoo, $8; drugstore.com.
Wipe Away the Day
- There is a way to freshen up without having to redo your eye makeup: Clean your face thoroughly with a facial wipe, carefully avoiding the eye area. Then use a swab saturated in remover to clean up stray specks of mascara.
- Almay Oil-Free makeup Eraser Sticks, $6; cvs.com.
Pump Up Your Pink
- Love the idea of a bold pout but can't quite embrace red lips? Consider a high-impact pink. "If you wear a subtle pink lipstick during the day, a brighter rose hue will blend in on top of any residual color," says makeup artist Joette Balsamo. It's easy but "totally transformative," she says.
- YSL Rouge Pur Couture lipstick in No. 7, $30; sephora.com.
Dew Your Face
- Reverse the effect of that dry office heat by giving yourself a quickie hydrating facial. Gently press a damp paper towel over your face. Then smear on a little Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 gel. "The hyaluronic acid in the gel binds the water to the skin, plumping it up," says New York dermatologist Francesca Fusco.
- Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 gel, $69; skinceuticals.com.
Prevent Hat Head
Opting for a hat like Maria Menounos? To preserve volume when heading outside, toss your hair in the opposite direction of your normal part before putting on your cap. When you get to your destination, flip hair back for a subtle lift at the crown. If you're troubled by static, rub a fabric softener sheet over strands.
Boost Your Wattage
- A touch of shimmer on the inner corners of your eyes, brow bone, and cheekbones hides the ravages of the day. "Choose a warm shade that's finely milled and silky," says makeup artist Fiona Stiles. "Obvious glitter can make you look like a tween."
- Benefit Watt's Up! highlighter, $30; benefitcosmetics.com.
"Nothing opens up eyes at the end of the day like recurling your lashes," says Stiles. Crimping alone will do the trick, but a few swipes of clear mascara will help set your handiwork while avoiding the chunky mess you can get from too many layers of black. (Bonus: Clear mascara also doubles as brow gel.)
Laura Mercier eyelash curler, $16; at Nordstrom.
Spray Away Wrinkles
Does the back of your pencil skirt look like a Ruffles potato chip? Spray on crease remover, then create a steam effect with the heat of a blow-dryer (or a bathroom's hand dryer).
The Laundress Crease Release, $8;
Chew On This
Before you walk out the door, nibble on a cinnamon stick. "It freshens breath and wakes you up," says Cornelia Zicu, global chief creative officer for Red Door Spas. And cinnamon steadies blood sugar, so it may help curb cocktail-hour munchies as well.