10 Ways to Get Even Sexier
10 Ways to Get Even Sexier
Apply Bold Color
There's power in your pout. One study showed that both red and pink lipstick hold a man's attention for five seconds longer than a neutral lip. But a high-impact hue has to feel right-to you. Experiment with different shades of crimson and fuchsia, and as Camilla Belle did, combine it with a subtle, smoky eye.
Guerlain Rouge G lipstick in No. 25 Garçonne, $47; at Saks Fifth Avenue.
If date night normally means dinner and a movie, change it up. Meet at an art gallery or a new bar to ignite a spark. Doing something novel together "stimulates the same part of your brain that lights up when you fall in love," says sex therapist Laura Berman.
Find the Perfect Stretch
What separates knock-'em-dead jeans from everyday denim comes down to fit: snug and sexy but not too tight. Stylist Wouri Vice, who works with Alicia Keys, suggests pairs with between 2 percent and 4 percent Lycra for a "close, easy shape on your body."
James Jeans, $198; 858-720-8449.
Start With a Spike
Whether you slip into delicate T-straps or shapely pumps, never underestimate what added height (at least 3 inches) can do. "The higher the heel, the sexier you'll feel," says stylist Rob Zangardi, who works with Kristen Bell and Rihanna. "Wearing heels changes your posture, how you stand, and even the way you walk."
B Brian Atwood suede sandals, $325; at select Bloomingdale's stores.
Customize Your Curves
When it comes to turning up the heat, a tailor can be a miracle worker, says Mad Men costume designer Janie Bryant. Consider a sheath, like this marigold one on Blake Lively, she says. A few alterations can "accentuate the bust, waist, and hips," giving you a day-to-night dress that's "not so much about showing skin as it is about highlighting your shape." A belt (thin or wide) adds more definition.
Life 'Em Up or Fake It
- Strengthen your back to align shoulders for a "natural boob lift," says trainer Harley Pasternak, who works with Megan Fox. His go-to exercise? While holding 5 lb. dumbbells, bend at the waist so your torso is parallel to the floor. Bend your arms at the elbows and pull the weights up in a rowing motion. Lower, and repeat for two sets of 12 reps. A less strenuous way to heighten allure? Dab shimmer on your decolletage before hooking your push-up bra.
- Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer, $28; sephora.com.
Work on Your Wink
Fluttery fringe on the red carpet, as seen on Eva Longoria, is often achieved with false eyelashes or extensions, say pros. For lusher lashes on your own, use these three tips from makeup artist Tonya Crooks. Begin with a primer, like Origins Underwear for Lashes ($15; origins.com). Gently heat your lash curler with a blow-dryer before crimping. Finally, brush on waterproof mascara. "It acts as a sealer to keep lashes curled," says Crooks.
Master the "Bed-Head Bardot"
- For touchable waves, start with a volumizing spray or powder, says hairstylist Juan Carlos, who has worked with Jennifer Lopez. Loosely gather hair into two low ponytails, and secure with rubber bands. Twist each pony around its base; pin and leave in for two hours. Shake out and voila—goddess bed head. Create waves on shorter dos by wrapping strands vertically around a 1-inch curling iron; begin at the top of your ears and continue down to the ends.
- David Evangelista Pouf, $19; hsn.com.
A lacy stocking shows off your legs in a seductive way that's not edgy or overt. Pair with an LBD and platform pumps for a saucy retro vibe, says Mad Men's Bryant.
Fogal lace tights, $44; at Bloomingdale's.
Hit the Notes
- While musk and tuberose are commonly tied to sensual scents, crisper types with lavender, lily of the valley, and orange also have a come-hither effect. Research has shown that men find those notes (along with "pumpkin pie") the most provocative, says neurologist Alan Hirsch of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation.
- L'Occitane Lavande roll-on, $15; at usa.loccitane.com.
- Tom Ford Private Blend Lavender Palm eau de parfum, $195/50 ml; at Neiman Marcus.