10 Ways to Dazzle Day to Night
10 Ways to Dazzle Day to Night
Do It Up
Turn your hair into a pretty topknot in 10 seconds flat (trust us, we timed it). Pull strands into a pony, slip them through a moldable bun tool (try Remington the Perfect Bun, ($5; walmart.com) roll hair up, then tuck ends around the tool and under the base. All together now: Ta-da!
Master the 1-Minute Mani
- Forget about a fresh paint job. When nails demand a makeover, simply sweep on a polish spiked with chunky flecks of sparkle. "It distracts the eye from imperfections," says New York manicurist Pattie Yankee. More good news: "It dries quickly and doesn't need a topcoat."
- Formula X for Sephora the Xplosives polish in Turbulent, $13; sephora.com.
Ace Your Base
"Mist on a moisturizing spray to revive your foundation after a long day," says makeup pro Lucky Smyler. He recommends Caudalie's Beauty Elixir ($49; caudalie.com), which leaves skin dewy with orange blossom and rosemary oils.
Go for Drama
Like trading your flats for stilettos, going from a nude lip to a bold one will up your sexy quotient. "A dark lip catches the light, adds dimension, and grabs attention in a dark room," says L.A. makeup artist Molly Stern. She suggests layering a clear gloss over the intense hue for extra punch—just be prepared to reapply every hour or so.
Engage the Clutch
- Sure, easy-to-palm purses are chic. But practical? "Actually, this season's coolest clutches are larger, so you can take them to work then out for drinks," says L.A. stylist Nicole Chavez.
- 3.1 Phillip Lim rabbit-fur clutch, $750; 31philliplim.com.
Divide and Conquer
A small change that will have a surprisingly big impact: switching your part to the other side of your head. "It'll instantly boost volume," says L.A. hairstylist Adir Abergel, who works with Rooney Mara. Use the highest point of your brow's arch as a marker and drag the pointed end of a rattail comb back toward the crown.
Leave ‘Em Hanging
Let's face it, blazers can give off a buttoned-up vibe—not what you're going for when you're off the clock. To loosen up the look, stylist Jason Bolden advises draping the topper over your shoulders a la Clark Kent: "Still stylish but less stuffy."
Try a Smear Tactic
If your expertly applied liner starts looking sketchy by the time 5 P.M. rolls around, don't whip out the remover wipes. Trace over the blurred lines with a pencil then gently smudge, says Molly Stern. "You'll get a seductive, smoky effect that's perfect for evening." Maybelline's Master Smoky Pencil ($8; drugstore.com) has a rounded sponge on one end to make blending a snap.
Add Ankle Armor
- Want an easy way to trick out basic pumps? Fasten chunky gold or silver chain bracelets around your ankles, says Bolden. "They'll actually seem like they're part of the design." Note: This shiny addition works best with simple, solid-color pumps—accessorizing already embellished heels will make them look gaudy instead of naughty.
- Fallon gold-plated bracelets (worn as ankle chains), $125 each; barneys.com. Aldo faux-python pumps, $90; aldoshoes.com.
Reboot Your Blowout
- When running to the salon for a quick blowout isn't an option, keep a few essentials in your desk drawer at the office: a travel-size texturizing spray to perk up limp locks and a small flatiron to smooth poufy bangs or add waves.
- Oribe Dry Texturizing purse spray, $20; sephora.com. Sarah Potempa Jet-Setter Cordless Styling Iron, $99; ulta.com.