The Super Bowl oozes all-American, which is why, come game day, we plan on indulging in ingredients like cheese, bacon, and beef—preferably all together in one hearty sandwich. Enter: The Melt, a dripping, juicy dish from Wahlburgers, the restaurant founded by ab-tastic actor Mark Wahlberg's brother Paul. “The Melt is a definite throwback to my childhood,” Paul says, whose eatery has multiple locations across the U.S. and one in Canada. “Our mom and dad would make hamburgers with slices of white bread because it’s typically all that we had, but we loved it. This is our way of honoring that tradition, but with an elevated twist.”
Try making the decadent sandwich for yourself and your Super Bowl guests with the recipe below.
Makes 2 sandwiches
1/4 to 1/2 lb ground beef (Wahlburgers suggests using a blend of short rib and ground chuck)
6 slices American cheese (3 slices for each Melt)
1 large yellow onion
12 slices dill pickles (6 slices for each melt)
4 slices crispy bacon
4 slices white bread (Wahlburgers prefers High Crown Thick)
For the Mustard Sauce
3 tbsp Hellman's Mayo
3 tbsp French's Yellow Mustard
1. Season 5 oz patties with salt and pepper. Place the patties down on a flat top or BBQ grill and cook for 2½ minutes.
2. While the patties are grilling, butter slices of white bread, and place on grill for 2 to 2½ minutes until golden brown.
3. While bread is on the grill, place 1½ slices of yellow American cheese on each slice of bread. Use only a total of 3 slices per Melt. Next, add 6 slices of dill pickles.
4. Flip the patties on the grill for an additional 2½ minutes, and season with salt and pepper. They should be cooked perfectly to medium.
5. Add caramelized onions, which can be prepared in advance of grilling. Sauté thinly sliced onions in pan with a 90/10 blend of canola and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until onions are soft and sweet. Add 2 oz to the top of each patty.
6. Add 2 slices of crispy bacon crisscrossed on top of the caramelized onions.
7. Remove slices of bread from the grill. Spread 1 oz of homemade mustard sauce on the pickled side of toasted bread.
8. Remove burgers from the grill and place on bread slices with the pickles and homemade mustard sauce. Place remaining slices on top, cut on diagonal, and serve with chips or fries.