Laced with bright flavors and packing a satisfying crunch, this lively salad gets some extra zing from the minced red chili in the dressing. Chef Jimmy Tu of New York Vietnamese restaurant Bunker, in Queens, created the zesty blend of julienned cabbage and carrot with summer in mind. “The light texture is enlivened by the mint, lime, and chili.”
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes, plus 10 minutes to cool
1 lb. chicken breast
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red chili, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups julienned red cabbage (1 head)
1 cup julienned carrots (3 medium carrots)
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
¹/₃ cup julienned mint leaves, plus whole mint leaves for garnish
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsp crispy shallots
¼ cup crushed roasted peanuts
1. Place chicken in a saucepan and cover with water.
2. Simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off heat and let chicken poach for 20 minutes in hot water.
3. Remove chicken and allow to cool to room temperature. Shred chicken.
In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, 4 tbsp water, and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in garlic, chili, and olive oil.
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken, cabbage, carrots, onion, and julienned mint with dressing.
2. Top with whole mint leaves, sesame seeds, shallots, and peanuts.
Want more sublime summer salad recipes? Pick up the August issue of InStyle, available on newsstands and for digital download now.