Sarah Jessica Parker may have stayed true to her long, signature waves on the cover of our February issue, but when it came to the inside spread, the style icon happily switched things up with a super-sleek bun. "Sarah liked the idea of a braided updo," says hairstylist Serge Normant, who used a Mason Pearson brush to pull her hair into a ponytail, then braided the ends and coiled it around the base. Hair pins and finishing spray kept the "graphic" style secure during five wardrobe changes. Love the look as much as we do? See below for Normant’s full breakdown!
How to Get SJP's Braided Bun:
1. Use a volumizer or a mousse from roots to tips, part in the middle or side if preferred.
2. Blow dry with a medium size brush keeping a bend on the ends.
3. Using a Mason Pearson Pocket Mixture Brush ($105; bigelowchemists.com), pull all the hair into a classic ponytail either under the crown or in the nape of the neck.
4. Spray dry shampoo on the ponytail to give it more texture then separate into three parts and start braiding (not too tight.) Secure the end with an invisible rubber band.
5. To create the bun, wrap the braid on its base in a circular shape and secure with a few hair pins.
6. Use hair spray to finish the look, adding Serge Normant Meta Sheer Finishing Spray ($24; nordstrom.com) to give it extra sheen if necessary.
To see the full interview with Sarah Jessica Parker, pick up a copy of InStyle’s February issue, available now on newsstands and for digital download.http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2014/WRN/010614-cover-tablet-200.jpg"]