Before we bid adieu to winter (only three weeks until spring!), it’s time to indulge in one last seasonal salad—specifically, the Tuscan Black Kale Salad from Picnic LA, the popular farm-to-table style eatery in downtown Culver City, Calif. The fast-casual restaurant, which features minimalist, modern spaces accented by the eatery’s signature blue and white gingham print, is helmed by executive chef Alex Resnick, who works closely with vendors to source the highest quality produce at the peak of their seasonality.
“This kale salad uses the most seasonal produce to make a bright and fulfilling lunch or light dinner,” says Resnick. “Pomegranate molasses has a wonderful sweet and salty flavor, and kumquats are best around this time of year; they add an amazing tartness to the salad, while ricotta salata adds some creaminess.” Try the recipe below.
Tuscan Black Kale Salad
2 bunches black kale
1 cup kumquats
1/4 cup pistachios
1 cup ricotta salata
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses ($7; gourmetfoodworld.com)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp black pepper
Kosher salt to taste
1. Wash and chop the kale into thin strips.
2. Toast the pistachios in a 325°F oven for 20 minutes until golden.
3. Cut the kumquats into quarters.
4. Crumble the ricotta salata into bite-sized pieces.
5. To make the vinaigrette: Mix together the pomegranate molasses, honey, lemon juice, olive oil, water, black pepper, and salt. Adjust to taste with salt.
6. To make the salad: Toss all ingredients together in mixing bowl, except the ricotta.
7. Once well mixed and shiny, place into a bowl, and top with the ricotta.