’Tis the season to ... usher in the new! Instead of coasting through the winter on fall-back looks from years past (think: a sequined dress for New Year's Eve, or head-to-toe black during dreary days), we dare you to switch up your outfit rotation with novel, unexpected pairings. From menswear-inspired platforms to matching sets, breathe life back into your wardrobe with our eight inspired combos—we promise, you won't find yourself in a style rut all season long.
1. Metallics + Pastels (above): No, pastels aren't just for the spring. Bring the soft shade into festive territory with a silver sweatshirt—the slouchy silhouette tempers the sweet hue while the metallic treatment delivers an ultra-luxe touch.
2. Menswear-Inspired Creepers + Cropped Pants: Skip the stilettos. And the cocktail dress, for that matter. For your next fete, take the menswear-inspired route and step into sky-high oxford-style shoes for a dashing twist without compromising height.
3. Fine Turtleneck + Fancy Jumpsuit: A wide-leg satin one-piece works as an incredibly modern alternative to an evening dress. To bring it to chicer heights, add a dash of texture with a muted fine knit layered underneath. Bonus: The combo serves as the perfect sartorial solution for extra chilly nights.
4. Matching Top + Culottes: Break the rules! Go matchy-matchy and coordinate your top with your bottom in the same print. To pull this off, look for pieces with an element of refinement (think: fabrication, sleek shades, or structured silhouettes).
5. Grays + Silvers: As a team, this pairing pretty much borders on monochromaticism, but it's the metallic party-ready shine that takes the look away from a flat one-shade state. The end result? Striking.
6. Button-Down + Sequined Tank: Conflicting personalities aside, each brings something to the table—the classic crisp white shirt suggests polished sophistication while a high-wattage sequined overlay offers built-in fun.
7. Off-the-Shoulder Top + Reverse Choker: Modern, minimalist, and luxe, the reverse choker is a jewelry piece that demands to stand on its own. So let it, with an off-the-shoulder top that keeps the area free of distractions.
8. White Knit + White Midi: The key to winter-white perfection is to not stress over pairing optic white with optic white (spoiler: it will never work). Aim for textured pieces in ecru, ivory, or cream to ease up on the pressure.