From Our Partners

The Director of Fifty Shades of Grey Will Not Return for the Sequel

The Director of <em>Fifty Shades of Grey</em> Will Not Return for the Sequel
Ian Gavan/Getty Images

This story first appeared on Time.com.

The director of this year's biggest Hollywood release Fifty Shades of Grey announced on Wednesday that she will not be directing the film's sequels. The move is thought to be because of reported creative differences with E.L. James, the author of the erotic novel on which the movie is based.

RELATED: Unrated Fifty Shades of Grey DVD Will Include an Alternate Ending

"While I will not be returning to direct the sequels, I wish nothing but success to whosoever takes on the exciting challenges of films two and three," director Sam Taylor-Johnson said in a statement, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie, starring Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan, has earned a total of $558.6 million worldwide so far.

RELATED: Game of Thrones Star Emilia Clarke Says She Turned Down Fifty Shades

THR reports that screenwriter Kelly Marcel will also probably not be involved in the sequel, and the film's producers will most likely assemble a new creative team for the next installment of the trilogy.

READ MORE: To see more stories like this, visit TIME.com.

 
Back to Top