Layered with yogurt and homemade tahini, this sautéed-kale salad takes inspiration from creamed spinach, according to its creators, Nick Balla and Cortney Burns, of San Francisco’s Bar Tartine, which serves eclectic Eastern European cuisine. “The rye and toasted seeds lend texture, making the dish a meal,” says Balla.
Total time: 1 hour
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes, plus 10 minutes to cool
3 garlic cloves
6 tbsp unfiltered grape-seed oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
1 cup plus 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds, divided
1 tbsp garam masala
¼ green serrano pepper
1½ tsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey, divided
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 lb. kale, stems removed and leaves torn into 1"– 2" pieces
8 oz. dark rye bread, crusts discarded, torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup Greek-style yogurt
2 tsp distilled vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 tbsp shelled pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 tbsp golden flaxseeds
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small saucepan, combine garlic and 4 tbsp oil over very low heat; cook until cloves are soft, about 30 minutes. Let cool and transfer garlic and oil to a blender.
2. Add 1 cup sunflower seeds, garam masala, pepper, lemon juice, 1 tsp honey, and 1 tsp salt; pulse on high speed at intervals of 15 seconds, stopping to scrape the sides of the blender, until tahini is slightly thinner than peanut butter. Add 1 tbsp warm water if too thick.
3. Refrigerate immediately. (Tahini can be made up to 4 weeks in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before using.)
1. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat until very hot.
2. Add 2 tbsp oil and kale; season with salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until kale begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp water and bread, tossing to warm the bread, for about 15 seconds.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, 1 tsp honey, and salt; stir.
For poached eggs:
1. Fill a medium pot with 2 inches of water. Add vinegar and bring to a boil. Crack 1 egg into a small cup and sprinkle yolk with salt.
2. Swirl water to form a whirlpool and gently slide egg into the center. Repeat with remaining eggs.
3. Bring water to a simmer, cover the pot, and turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.
1. Spread tahini in a large circle on four plates and spoon yogurt on top.
2. Distribute kale over yogurt and top with a poached egg.
3. Garnish with remaining seeds and a drizzle of oil. Season generously with pepper. Serve immediately.
Want more sublime summer salad recipes? Pick up the August issue of InStyle, available on newsstands and for digital download now.