Meet your new favorite condiment. Loaded with pomegranate seeds and mint, a spoonful of this jewel-like salsa adds sparkle and flavor to a piece of fish. And when it comes to health benefits, these bright seeds "make everything look like Christmas," says nutrition braniac Rebecca Katz, author of The Healthy Mind Cookbook. Packed with vitamin C, "pomegranates are one of the fruits with the highest content of antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage and possibly even lower inflammation in the body," notes Katz. She likes to keep a stash of pomegranate seeds in the freezer so they're ready to use anytime.
Roasted Ginger Salmon With Pomegranate Olive Mint Salsa
Serves 4 / Active time: 40 minutes / Total time: 1 hour
1. In a small bowl, whisk together citrus juices and zests, olive oil, ginger, and cayenne.
2. Place salmon in a baking dish; season each piece with a pinch of salt. Pour half of the marinade over the salmon; turn to coat well. Cover baking dish and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Remove salmon from the refrigerator, uncover, and add 2 tbsp of water to the dish. Bake for 10--15 minutes, until tender and opaque and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the fillet registers 120°F.
5. While salmon is cooking, combine reserved marinade and mustard in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer to reduce liquid by half. Pour over fillets. Spoon ¼ cup of the salsa over each fillet; serve immediately.
Pomegranate Olive Mint Salsa
1. Put all ingredients in a small bowl; stir gently to combine. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
2. Taste; you may want to add another squeeze of lemon or a pinch of salt.