When it comes to entertainment value, the MTV Video Music Awards never fails in delivering epic watercooler moments—and this year’s show was no exception.
The 33rd annual run of the VMAs at New York’s Madison Square Garden started off with a bang (even on the red carpet), with 2016 Video Vanguard Award honoree Rihanna’s cotton candy-colored opening. From marquee performers (Britney! Beyoncé!), worldwide premieres, and even the most unexpected, heartfelt proclamations of love, scroll down to see our favorite GIFable moments from Sunday night’s show.
1. Rihanna’s candy-coated entrance and danceable medley, what would be the first of many Rihanna performances we'd be treated to.
3. Alicia Keys continues to go makeup-free in an empowering speech-slash-impromptu performance and we’re dying to know what magic elixir she’s using.
4. VMA regular Kanye West proclaims himself as one of his own idols...
5. Before introducing his latest NSFW Flashdance-inspired “piece of art,” "Fade":
6. Rihanna takes to the stage once more, this time for a dancehall-inspired performance complete with a fishnet do-rag, fur-trimmed bra, and serious face.
7. Beyoncé recreates Lemonade and there are no words. #bowdown
9. The night wouldn’t be complete without Kim K doing what Kim K does best.
10. Jimmy Fallon as Ryan Lochte before presenting Beyoncé with Video of the Year accolades.
11. A dapper Drake presents Rihanna with the legendary Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, praising her and calling her “captivating from day one” and “untouchable.” Just when we think it can’t get better, he introduces the star as “someone I’ve been in love with since I was 22 years old” and “one of my best friends in the world.” Excuse us while we SWOON.
Take another look at all of the evening's finest red carpet looks from the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards.