The 68th annual Primetime Emmy Awards took place Sunday night at L.A.'s Microsoft Theater and, as expected, it was a memorable one. With comedian Jimmy Kimmel at the helm, television’s biggest night saw its share of accolades, emotions, and (our favorite) GIF-able scenes.
From heartwarming tributes to laugh-out-loud moments, take a look at our favorites below.
VIDEO: Emmy Awards 2016: See the Stars on the Red Carpet
1. Saturday Night Live’s Kate McKinnon’s honest-to-goodness shock when it was announced she won Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her work on SNL.
2. Not only did Julia Louis-Dreyfus make history when she picked up her fifth consecutive Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, breaking the record for most wins in her category, but she ended her acceptance speech on a heartfelt note. Visibly emotional and shaking, the Veep star dedicated her award to her late father, William Louis-Dreyfus, who passed away on Friday at the age of 84. "I'm so glad he liked it because his opinon was the one that really mattered."
3. Who doesn’t love snack time? Host Jimmy Kimmel took a break from his hosting duties to dole out PBJs (and later on, juice boxes!) made with love by his mom to hungry guests. Taraji and Sofía, you are girls after our own hearts.
— chelsea hassler (@chelseaadelaine) September 19, 2016
4. Proving she can roll with the punches, Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones showed off her sense of humor by asking the show’s Ernst & Young accountants to protect her Twitter account. “Thank you so much, Ernst & Young. I really appreciate all your hard work you do, but let’s be real. Y’all protected something that nobody is trying to steal,” she started. "Don’t nobody want to know about boring Emmy secrets. But since you good at keeping things safe, I got a job for you: My Twitter account. Put that in the vault, please," referring to her recent Twitter scandal where her private photos were compromised.
5. One half of the couple formerly known as Hiddleswift made his first very public (and very dapper) appearance post-breakup while presenting the Emmy for Best Directing in a Limited Series, along with Quantico’s Priyanka Chopra.
— Nerdist (@nerdist) September 19, 2016
6. Tina and Amy. Do these ladies even need an introduction? The BFFs and former costars, who won an Emmy together earlier in the week for co-hosting SNL together, made us green with envy with their #twinning looks.
7. When Matt Damon crashed the Emmys stage to take a dig at “loser” Jimmy Kimmel after the host lost the Emmy award for Outstanding Variety Talk Series to John Oliver. "This is so humiliating, you lost and now you have to stand out here for the rest of the night in front of everybody when your probably just wanna go home and cry," the host’s longtime nemesis pointed out. "You're a pretty big loser and for once am sorry about that."
8. When Rami Malek went onstage to accept his Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for the hugely popular Mr. Robot, he took a moment to acknowledge anyone who relates to his socially awkward, but relatable, character, Elliot Alderson. "I'm not sure how many people would hang out with Elliot … I want to honor the Elliots, because there's a little bit of Elliot in all of us." And of course, Malek’s incredulous response to his win is everything.