America's sweetheart, Reese Witherspoon, is a siren on screen, on the red carpet—and on her days off. Over the years, our beyond gorgeous May cover girl has perfected the ultimate off-duty uniform. It's a style that reflects her preppy-chic aesthetic and Southern upbringing, that is both equally polished and effortless, and that fuses a unique blend of timeless classics with on-trend toughness.
In the hopes of emulating her style, we dissected her wardrobe and pinpointed the 10 quintessential pieces that make up the star's off-duty M.O.
A Denim Jacket + Floral Skirt (above)
The denim jacket is the perfect season-to-season transitional piece, and Witherspoon knows this well. On two separate spring outings, she topped her black shirt-and-floral skirt combo with America's most classic outerwear.
The Button-Down and Crewneck Sweater Pairing
Witherspoon put a dash of prep in her step when she stepped out in a collared ivory Tory Burch sweater ($140; toryburch.com) and again in a white knit layered over a button-down.
A Leather Moto Jacket
For a tougher take on her look, the star swaps her denim jacket for a leather one. Here, she topped off her stripes and skinnies with a moto jacket (right), and more recently, she draped it over her shoulders.
Ankle-grazing skinnies are Witherspoon's preferred jean type. Her go-to denim brands include 7 for All Mankind and Frame Denim, and she pairs them with just about anything, from a sexy lace top to a fierce leopard-print pullover.
And now, behold, the guide to Reese's pieces:
Your 10-Item Checklist to Recreating Reese Witherspoon's Off-Duty Style
1. Denim Jacket: J. Crew, $128; jcrew.com
2. Button-Down: Gap, $35; gap.com
3. Crewneck Sweater: H&M, $25; hm.com
4. Moto Jacket: Topshop, $330; topshop.com
5. Floral Skirt: Zara, $80; zara.com
6. Dark Skinny Jeans: J Brand, $185; net-a-porter.com
7. Long Gold Chain Necklace: Tory Burch, $395; toryburch.com
8. A Carryall Tote: Kate Spade, $398; katespade.com
9. Sunglasses: Oliver Peoples, $365; oliverpeoples.com
10. Dark Pumps: Banana Republic, $148; bananarepublic.com
Related Video: Go Behind the Scenes with Reese Witherspoon at Her InStyle Cover Shoot