2 large russet potatoes, peeled
1 egg yolk
½ cup matzo meal
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Olive oil for frying
Horseradish Crema Ingredients:
2 tablespoons freshly grated (or bottled) horseradish
½ cup Mexican crema (available in Latin supermarkets) or sour cream
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the potatoes into a medium-size bowl. Add the egg yolk, jalapeno, salt, and matzo meal; mix well and let cool in the refrigerator for five minutes to allow ingredients to bind.
2. Remove bowl from refrigerator and drain off any excess liquid.
3. Over a medium flame, heat ½ cup olive oil in a 10-inch skillet until hot but not smoking. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture at a time and place into the pan, being careful not to crowd the latkes. Cook each latke until golden brown on both sides (approximately five minutes total).
4. Transfer latkes to a paper-towel-lined plate, add additional salt if desired. Add ¼ to ½ cup of olive oil (if needed) to pan and repeat process with remaining latke mixture.
5. Serve immediately, with horseradish crema (Mix all the ingredients together and serve as a condiment for the latkes).
6. Makes 12 pieces (2 per person)
Skip to news content.