Summer Entertaining 2013:
Red, White & Oooh!
Standing tall at 11 inches, this multicolored confection is the party centerpiece and it’s easier to make than it looks. Take the speedy route by using a cake mix. “I also like to frost three layers at a time, then refrigerate them for 30 minutes before doing the next three,” says the treat’s creator, Sarah Jones, of the lifestyle site Brit.co. “That way the layers stay condensed and won’t wobble.” Gel food coloring, as opposed to the liquid coloring found in supermarkets, will deliver the richest hues.
Makes One 9-Inch Cake
3 boxes white cake mix
6 egg whites
4 ½ cups Sprite
Blue gel food coloring
Red gel food coloring 5 12 oz. tubs of whipped vanilla frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix one box of cake mix with 2 egg whites and 1 ½ cups Sprite; divide evenly among 3 bowls.
3. Create three shades of blue: Add 2 drops of coloring to one bowl, 4 to the second and 8 to the third.
4. Coat three 9-inch pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with parchment paper cut to size. Pour each batter into its own pan.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let layers cool; remove from pans. If needed, use a serrated knife to trim tops so they are level.
6. Place darkest blue layer on a plate; cover with a thin layer of frosting. Repeat with remaining layers, from darkest to lightest. Chill cake in fridge.
7. Repeat step 2.
8. Add one drop of blue coloring to one bowl and one drop of red to another. Do not tint last bowl.
9. Repeat steps 4 and 5.
10. Keep building cake with blue, then white, then red layers, frosting after each. Chill cake in fridge.
11. Repeat steps 2-5 using red coloring instead of blue. Keep building cake with red layers, going from lightest to darkest, frosting after each.
13. Coat outside of cake with a thin layer of frosting. Chill for 15 minutes.
14. Use remaining frosting to generously coat outside of cake. Chill for at least one hour before cutting.
At the Van Cleef & Arpels flagship store in New York City, Blake Lively celebrated the redesign in a black bias Marchesa slip dress with pastel floral embroidery, Chantilly lace cut-outs and a tulle flounce skirt. Van Cleef & Arpels jewels and black Gucci heels completed her look.