Summer Entertaining 2013:
Red, White & Oooh!
Eenie, Meenie, Blini…
1 tbsp sugar
¼ oz. packet rapid-rise yeast
½ cup water, at 100°F
2 eggs, separated
¾ cup blue cornmeal
½ cup milk at 100°F
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
Canola oil, for frying
5 plum tomatoes, diced small
6 oz. sour cream or crème fraîche
1. Mix sugar and yeast with warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes, while it becomes foamy.
2. Meanwhile, whip egg whites until foamy; set aside.
3. Add egg yolks, cornmeal, flour ½ tsp salt, warm milk and butter to the yeast, whisking until combined. Then fold in foamy egg whites.
4. Let batter rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
5. Using a funnel, fill a squeeze bottle with batter.
6. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat, add 2 tsp canola oil, and squeeze the batter onto the pan in uniform silver dollar-size cakes. Cook 1-2 minutes per side.
7. Season tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper.
8. Top each blini with a dollop of sour cream and diced tomatoes.
At the Louis Vuitton Art Basel Beach Barbecue event, Michelle Williams (in head-to-toe Louis Vuitton) was the epitome of chic, effortlessly styling her stripe tiered skirt with a slouchy blue sweater, the brand’s signature checkered clutch and mustard yellow sandals.