Claim to fame: Gilbert competed on season 7 of Top Chef and is the executive chef at 50 Eggs Restaurant Group.Ingredients
2 cooked cans of black eyed peas
1/4 cups fresh chorizo
1/4 cups Spanish onions
8 cloves garlic
1/4 cups cream cheese
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoons lemon zest
1/4 cups olive oil
1. Heat medium sized sauce pot on medium high heat.
2. Add chorizo and proceed to render fat and brown.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic and cook until tender for about 5 minutes.
4. Add cans of black eyed peas including liquid that that they are stored in and bring mixture to a boil. Cook for two minutes and reduce to a simmer. Reduce liquid by half.
5. Add tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest and cream cheese and combine well.
6. Place ingredients into a food processor and proceed to puree. Drizzle in olive oil slowly. Puree until smooth for about 5 minutes.
7. Remove and refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, Italian parsley or a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with grilled bread and raw vegetables for dipping. Serves 4.Read MoreLess