Get talking over the turkey. Tuck a question under each plate, or serve them up with dessert.
At your holiday dinner table, you know it's important to stay away from controversial topics like politics, but what do you do if you don't want to revert to retelling old family stories over and over again? Luckily for you, we have some funny conversation starters that will get your family and friends bonding during the meal. We guarantee no one will want to escape the Thanksgiving table with these conversation starter questions.
For Parents to Ask Kids (of All Ages)
- Who is the funniest person at the table and why?
- Pretend you just won $5 million. What's the first thing you would buy?
- What do you think is the hardest thing about being a parent?
- What are you most thankful for this year? (You knew it was coming.)
For Kids to Ask Parents
- If you could have named yourself, what name would you have picked?
- What do you think is the hardest thing about being a kid?
- What about me is the most (and least) like you?
- If you could eat only one food on this table for an entire year, which one would it be?
For Friends to Ask Friends
- Which person here do you wish you knew better?
- Which person at this table would make the best news anchor?
- If you had a uniform that you had to wear every day, what would it be?
- Your most creative leftover-turkey idea: Go!
For Kids to Ask Grandparents
- How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were my age?
- What was your favorite thing about where you grew up?
- What about my mom/dad drove you crazy when she/he was a kid?
- If you could live in any decade of your life again, which would it be?
For Partners to ask Each Other
- What did you really think of me on your first date?
- What phrase would you like me to never again utter?
- If I were a pair of shoes, what kind would I be?
- What is the best holiday we’ve ever spent with each other?
This article originally appeared on Realsimple.com.