In this feature, InStyle’s Senior Editor Sharon Clott documents what she packed and what she wore for her trip to Miami.
I’m getting married this summer. (Insert a million happy face emojis here.) But before say my I dos, my three closest girlfriends decided that I needed to bail on all wedding planning and head somewhere sunny for a little pre-matrimonial escape. Yes, it was a bachelorette party, if you will. And a much-needed one at that—planning a wedding can be stressful. So we all hopped a flight and headed south, straight to The James Royal Palm in South Beach, Miami. Bienvenidos!
I’m a very strategic packer. I like to print out an itinerary of my trip and then I meticulously plan an outfit for each place I’m planning to go. It takes me forever, mostly because I fall into the self-imposed trap of trying on every piece before it hits the suitcase. (I’ve pulled quite a few all-nighters before long trips!) It’s not the most efficient way of doing things, this I understand. But it’s a habit I can’t seem to break. And it’s always worth it because then I don’t stress later. I know exactly what my options are!
For Miami, my goal was to interpret the beautiful art deco look of the beachside city with my wardrobe. I brought only items that popped with pretty pastels and prints. I even packed bright lipsticks I’d never usually wear in New York, like oranges and magentas. (And a few extras for my girlfriends.)
By the time the bubbly had been popped, the clubs hopped, and the eateries bopped, I was bummed to be leaving the Sunshine State (but excited to come back and get the big show started—i.e. the wedding!). That said, I have since decided to pack my bright pink lipstick in my handbag instead of my normal nude. That way a little piece of my memorable Miami girls trip can stay with me wherever I go.
—Coordinated by InStyle’s Senior Market Editor/Digital Correspondent Dana Avidan-Cohn
1. Beach Essentials“I lived for these sunglasses. They really flattered my oval face while shielding my eyes with 100 percent UV protection. Mara Hoffman’s eye-popping prints are perfect for the shores of Miami, which is why I gravitated to this two piece for when I went to a daytime pool party at Hyde Beach at the SLS Hotel.”
From top left: Wildfox sunglasses ($179; bloomingdales.com), Rebecca Minkoff sunglasses case ($75;arebeccaminkoff.com),aMara Hoffman bikini ($110 per piece; marahoffman.com), Hampton Sun SPF 35 Continuous Mist Sunscreen ($10; sephora.com).
2. Packing Made Easy“My friend had told me about Steamline Luggage, and I was immediately obsessed. I never received so many compliments from strangers about an accessory than I did while holding this!”
From left: Stella ampamp; Dot clutch ($89; stelladot.com), Steamline Luggage carry-on suitcase ($600; steamlineluggage.com), Rebecca Minkoff sunglasses case ($75; rebeccaminkoff.com).
3. Beauty Essentials“I packed so much makeup! It was a mix of my old and new favorites. The Guerlain bronzer worked wonders. It felt so light and smoothed out my complexion for an all-over sun-kissed glow.”
From left: Butter London Wink Mascara in Union Jack Black ($20;abutterlondon.com), Forever 21 nail polish (similar options at forever21.com), Lorac Pro Powder Cheek Stain in Petal Pink ($20;aloraccosmetics.com), OPI top coat ($9; ulta.com), Maybelline Infallible 24 Hour Eye Shadow ($8;alorealparisusa.com), Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Extatique ($35;anordstrom.com), Lancome Star Bronzer Long Lasting Bronzing Powder ($35; saksfifthavenue.com), Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder ($52; sephora.com), Dolce amp Gabbana The Lipgloss Intense Colour in Honey 137 ($31;asephora.com), MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Glass in Right Image ($20; maccosmetics.com).
4. Beachin’ It!“There are only a few things I need for the beach: A good game option, waterproof sunscreen, sunnies, and a copy of the newest InStyle! I caught up on all of my colleagues' great stories while lounging on the sand.”
From left: InStyle magazine (click here to subscribe!), Hampton Sun SPF 35 Continuous Mist Sunscreen ($10; sephora.com), Wildfox sunglasses ($179; bloomingdales.com), Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Extatique ($35; nordstrom.com), Tommy Hilfiger paddleball game (editor's own).
5. Miami Style“Yes, I decided to try the crop top trend. And I actually liked it! This one by Anthropologie was made particularly for petites, which is why it fit so great without any alterations for my five-foot-tall frame.”
Stella ampamp; Dot Avalon Tote ($148; stelladot.com), Anthropologie top (no longer in stores), Aritizia crop pants (aritzia.com for similar styles), Rag ampamp; Bone Keaton sunglasses ($350; rag-bone.com), Steamline Luggage carry-on suitcase ($600; steamlineluggage.com).