Aug 20, 2017 @ 9:00 AM
Tips & Tricks to the Best You Ever
1. Cure What Ails YouAh, New Year's Day Hangovers. If you wake up functional yet fuzzy, steep a cup of licorice-root tea to settle your stomach. Can't lift your head or even think about prepping tea? Integrative doctor Frank Lipman suggests popping S-Acetyk Glutathione ($56/60 capsules; vitaminrite.com). "It's the most potent antioxidant we know of," he says.
2. Get in the Zen ZoneDownload these three transcendent apps to reach a higher plane-or at least climb closer toward one.
Moment: It tracks phone usage, sets parameters, and sends notifications if you?re over your limit, thus encouraging you to live in the moment ($5; available on iTunes).
Balanced:The anti-to-do list, this app sets goals for finding time for things you love?like a Scandal marathon or hitting the gym (Free; available on iTunes).
Headspace: For a crash course in mindfulness, start with the Take Ten program for mini sessions that guide you on how to be present for even the most mundane tasks (Free; available on iTunes).
3. Redefine DietSay sayonara to juice cleanses and fasting. Dr. Lipman, author of The New Health Rules ($14; amazon.com), breaks down his updated ideals:
Don?t fear fat: ?Coconut oil, avocados, and meat from grassfed animals all contain healthy natural fats,? he says.
Eighty-six egg-white omelets: Yolks are also packed with satiating nutrients, meaning you?ll stay full longer.
Curb sugar cravings: ?Getting off sugar reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes,? he says, adding that patients should take 1,000 milligrams of the amino acid glutamine every three to four hours for two weeks to break the addiction.
Supercharge Your Meals
With breakfast try: Chlorella
This powder of microalgae has the highest concentration of chlorophyll, says Wolfe, and it?s high in protein. Add a tablespoon to your smoothie.
With lunch try: Broccoleaf
The leaves of the broccoli plant are packed with vitamin C and calcium and sturdy enough to replace your sandwich bread or burrito wraps.
With dinner try: Red palm oil
Sauté veggies or grill meat in this antioxidant-rich saturated fat.
4. Deflate Dark CirclesIf your undereye bags are bigger than a Birkin, meet Living Proof’s Neotensil ($500/7 weeks; livingproof.com). The invisible polymer mimics your skin’s elasticity to smooth and reshape the delicate area under the eye. Within three hours after you glide on the two serums— a reshaping base and an activating layer—you’ll notice the effects, which last for 16 hours. As the product wears off, edges can show, so dermatologist Elizabeth Tanzi recommends removing it with warm water before bed.
5. Work Out Like Kim KardashianVirtually, that is. With the Gunnar Challenge, an eight-week, $89 fitness program from celebrity trainer Gunnar Peterson, you’ll get exactly the same treatment he gives the Hollywood elite. “If you’ve fallen off over the holidays, it’s a great way to stay accountable,” he says. Six days a week you’ll receive a 30-minute video workout—delivered to your in-box—that requires only the most basic gym equipment: a dumbbell and a jump rope.
6. Exit the Sugar TrainNutritionist J.J. Virgin, author of Sugar Impact Diet, says the average person eats a whopping 152 pounds a year of the sweet stuff, which is linked to diabetes, heart disease, and dementia. ?It?s like a drug that we crave,? she explains. ?But the less we eat, the less we want.? Control your intake with these healthier subs.
7. De-StessorizeIf meditation seems daunting, the Muse wearable EEG monitor ($299; gaiam.com) may be the Zen master you need. The headband guides you through three-minute relaxation exercises, while tiny sensors measure brain activity, sending feedback to your tablet or smartphone.
Shop 10 stress-relieving beauty products here!
8. Turbocharge Your Beauty ArsenalClarisonic? Check. PedEgg? Check. Here are five more gadgets that will rock your beauty routine in 2015.
FHI Heat Stylus: Instead of being sandwiched between scorching flatiron plates, hair moves through this five-setting heated brush ($140; fhiheat.com), which smooths and tames strands.
Foreo Luna Mini: Made of bacteria-resistant silicone, this pulsating facial cleanser ($139; sephora.com) whisks away dirt and dead skin cells with sonic waves. You’ll save big on brush replacements.
Sephora Collection Sonic Airbrush Sponge:A disposable makeup sponge ($25; sephora.com) gently vibrates, blending liquid and cream foundations into your skin, sans caking.
Labnails by Lisa Jachno the Buffy 3-in-1 Electric Mani Pen: The stylus’s attachments work to smooth, shine, and buff away dried cuticle build-up ($40; qvc.com).
Gillette Venus Swirl: Just like Dyson changed vacuuming, Gillette is changing the way you shave: The FlexiBall rotating joint glides over hard-to-shave areas ($13; available for preorder at pgestore.com).
9. Netflix Your VeggiesGood news for those who would rather sleep in on Saturday mornings than hit the farmers market: Farmbox Direct delivers organic local produce to major cities and their surrounding areas. Each week you’ll get an email announcing the current harvest. Choose a mix of farm-fresh fruits and veggies and they’ll be boxed up and sent to your door in as little as two days (Boxes start at $37; farmboxdirect.com).
10. Become a Sleep SpecialistSince you’re probably not equipped with Princess and the Pea powers, understanding your shut-eye can be tricky. Enter the Beddit ($149; shop-us.beddit), a flat sensor that attaches to your mattress to monitor every move as you catch your zzz’s. If you share a bed, place the sensor on the side you lie on. “Since the sensor is under your sheets, it doesn’t disturb you at all as opposed to many other wearable devices that can actually interfere with your sleep,” says Dr. Michael Breus, a psychologist and sleep expert. In the morning the corresponding app will give you a full rundown of your night, along with suggestions on how to improve your sleep.
11. Pedal While You WorkWhistling is so Seven Dwarfs. Riding the elliptical while you take a conference call?now that?s more like it. The Cubii under-desk elliptical ($319, preorder at fitnesscubed.com) allows you to gently pedal all day long, and it syncs with fitness-monitoring devices like the Fitbit. The pedals are angled so your knees won?t hit the underside of your desk, and the low resistance makes for a nontedious workout that won?t distract you from filing that expense report.
12. Rev Up Your LatteIt turns out those rich coffee drinks might not be as bad for you as you think-if they?re loaded with the right kind of fats, says Dr. Lipman, who, along with stars like Shailene Woodley and Jimmy Fallon, starts the day with Bulletproof Coffee ($19/12 oz.; upgradedself.com), a blend of good old-fashioned grounds, coconut oil, and grass-fed butter. The fats from the oil and butter counteract coffee?s acidity, curb cravings, and fuel your brain for the day, he explains.
13. Log in & LaserThe results from the first generation of at-home lasers were a little like the emperor?s new clothes?you saw them if you believed in them. ?Today?s versions penetrate deep below the skin?s surface to stimulate collagen production,? says Dr. Tanzi. The Iluminage Skin Smoothing Laser ($595; nordstrom.com) treats wrinkles around super sensitive areas, like the eyes. Bonus: The device transmits data to your online account, where you can track progress and upload pics.
14. Exercise Harder, Faster, and ShorterHit a plateau? Swap out your usual cardio routine for high-intensity interval training. Short, intense bursts torch more calories and condition the heart more effectively, says physician and FastExercise author Michael Mosley. Try these power moves:
Barry’s Bootcamp’s Combat Burpee:Throw four punches with your right hand, jump into plank position, do one push-up, then jump up. Repeat on the opposite side, alternating for one minute.
Physique 57’s Passe Push-Up:From the push-up position, pull in your left knee, drawing your left toes to your inner right thigh; bend your elbows and lift your knee out to the side. Repeat 10 times, then switch sides.
SoulCycle’s Soul15:Facing the back of a chair, lift one leg at a 90-degree angle parallel to the chair, repeating 20 times. Switch legs; repeat for a total of three sets.
Check out the hottest fitness sneakers here!
15. Have a Fully Stocked StashIf you’re digging nubs of lipstick from the tube because you can’t be bothered to make a Sephora run, download the beauty-tracking app Stash Beauty (free; available on iTunes). Scan the bar codes of your products and track how often you use them, then the app’s replenishment algorithm calculates when you’re low. It adds them to your virtual cart, waits for your approval, and ships refills to your doorstep.
16. Treat the UntreatablesDimpled thighs and bulging veins aren’t for life, thanks to two innovative new procedures offered at your doctor’s office.
Body FX Cellulite-Melter
The Treatment: A combo of radiofrequency energy and vacuum suction reduces cellulite, tightens skin, and shrinks fat deposits.
The Commitment: Four to six sessions.
The Cost: Around $200 per session.
The Fine Print: It’s most effective for women within 10 pounds of their healthy weight.
Varinthena Varicose Vein Foam
The Treatment: A shaving-cream-like foam is injected into veins, painlessly redirecting pooled blood from faulty vessels to functional ones.
The Commitment: Two sessions may be needed for optimal results.
The Cost: Varies based on insurance coverage.
The Fine Print: You’ll have to wear a compression stocking for a week after the injection.
17. Simplify Your StylingThese no-brainer tools make sexy strands a cinch.
Bombshell curls: Never risk a burn again with Conair's clip-free silicone rollers ($60; target.com). Open up the roller, place it midshaft, and wind hair upward to the root. Close the roller, and once it has cooled, you?ve got bouncy waves.
Beachy Waves: Blow-drying, then curling hair? Instead, add waves as you dry by parting damp strands in four sections and slipping each into the ForStyler ($40; forstyler.com), a clear tube that snaps onto your dryer. It?ll twist your locks into perfectly imperfect spirals.
Shop even more must-have hair tools in our gallery!
18. Feed Your FeelingsJust not with a bottomless bowl of Bolognese. “Brain-fueling supplements can alleviate common mood disorders,” says psychologist Julia Ross, author of The Mood Cure. Here’s her stash:
Tryptophan and 5-HTP for depression: “This combo converts into mood-lifting serotonin,” Dr. Ross says. Take one of each when you’re in a slump.
GABA for anxiety: Think of this as nature’s Xanax. In lozenge form, it can ward off sweaty palms and a racing heart.
DLPA for emotional eating: “Taking this between meals will satisfy your pleasure-providing neurotransmitters better than mac and cheese,” says Dr. Ross.
All available at vitaminshoppe.com.
19. Whiten Whip FastPhotoshop can’t compete with results this quick: IntelliWhite’s Cool Blue Pro at-home device ($170; hsn.com) uses an LED to whiten teeth up to five shades in just 25 minutes. “Zinc oxide paste heightens the effect of the LED, which mimics in-office treatments,” says cosmetic dentist Marc Lowenberg. “The system won’t dry out enamel, which can cause sensitivity.”
Click through our gallery for more ways to a whiter smile!
20. Calibrate Your GlowFaux tans aren’t one-size-fits-all, and that’s why St. Tropez’s Express Bronze self-tanner ($44; sephora.com) is so darn appealing. Want a subtle look? Shower one hour after applying. Going for “I vacationed in Tulum”? Wait three full hours before taking a rinse. But don’t hold off longer, and do skip soap. “The mousse needs only water to stop developing,” says skin-finishing expert Sophie Evans.
Click through our gallery to get self-tanning tips for every skintone!
21. Save Time at the SalonWe pay for a dimensional do in dollars and in time spent in foils. With Wella’s Color.id (wella.com for salons), pigment stays in place so your technician can apply multiple hues at once. “Not waiting for a single process to set before highlighting will have you done in half the time,” says colorist Jennifer J. Wells.
Check out the prettiest hair colors for winter in our gallery!
22. Slash Your Salon BillFill out a questionnaire about your hair type and color and send photos to a consultant at madison-reed.com; a custom color kit is then mixed and sent your way for only $30. The corresponding voice-activated app?so no touching your phone with gooey hands?guides you through each step of the DIY process with clear and helpful directives. Your colorist may miss you, but your bank account will thank you.
23. Facetime Your DocPrep for unexpected ailments by signing up for Doctor on Demand (doctorondemand.com). Input your symptoms and for a flat fee of $40, you’ll be connected with a board-certified physician in your state for a video exam. Docs can even prescribe meds for common afflictions and treat behavioral-health issues.
24. Give Yourself a 60-Second FacialSome women enjoy having their face prodded for 90 minutes. Others, um, don’t. The second camp should consider Ren’s Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial ($48; sephora.com). The high concentration of vitamin C sloughs away dulling dead skin cells, while boswellic acid fights signs of aging. “I call it nature’s Botox because it softens wrinkles,” explains Dr. Tanzi.
Click here for 10 miracle masks that will completely change your skin!
25. Zap Acne, Grown-Up StyleTime to retire your gunky tube of zit cream. Here’s how adults get ’er done.
Cleanse with plasma: Water can strip your skin of the natural oils it needs, so try Perricone MD's Blue Plasma Cleanser ($39; perriconemd.com) to lift away dirt, sans H20.
Fight with light: With an extra-wide surface area, Pulsaderm's blue-light device ($189; pulsaderm.com) lets you cover your whole face quickly, calming pimples and preventing new ones from forming. Use for three minutes twice a week.
Treat while you sleep: Wexler Dermatology's overnight lotion ($65; at Wexler Dermatology, 212-684-2626) is gentle enough for sensitive skin but has a high concentration of salicylic acid, which treats existing breakouts.
Click here for more ways to treat acne!
26. Don't Get Mad, Get EvenIf broken capillaries, sun spots, or dark freckles are taking up prime real estate on your face, talk to your dermatologist about in-office Lumecca light treatment ($300?$500 per session). It works in two to three visits (most others require at least six). ?Specifically targeting pigmentations gets a better result faster,? says Dr. Tanzi.
27. Brush It OffThere are lots of places your regular toothbrush doesn’t reach (just ask your floss). The Emmi-dent System ($189; emmi-dent.com) uses a sonic-wave brush and nano-bubble toothpaste to drive teensy droplets between teeth and below gums, destroying plaque and tartar without harsh brushing. There’s no friction, so your gums can’t get inflamed, says cosmetic dentist Laura Ruof: “Plus, it passed my chia-seed test. It blasted those tiny, hard-to-remove particles from between my teeth more effectively than a standard brush.”
28. Get a Passport to FitnessIf you’ve been running the same tired route (or cycling through the same spin class) for as long as you can remember, you may be bored—and so are your muscles. For $99, join Class-Pass, which gives you one month of unlimited access to thousands of workouts in cities like Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C ($99/month; classpass.com.
Click for 10 must-try fitness trends!
29. Optimize Your H20 IntakeThe old eight-glasses-per-day rule could use an update. According to nutrition expert Tina Ruggiero, your body weight really determines how much to gulp down daily. “Take your weight and multiply it by .67,” she says. “The result is the number of fluid ounces you need.” Don’t forget to add 12 fluid ounces for every half hour of exercise.
30. Smooth Away StubbleTraditional at-home hair-removal systems—which work by picking up the color discrepancy between your skin and your hair—have never been totally safe (or effective) for women with dark skin. But finally there’s a solution: Me Smooth ($395; ulta.com), the first device that’s FDA-cleared for all skin types. The best part? The treatment, which uses a combo of IPL and radio frequency, is practically painless.
Click here for more of our favorite at-home hair removal products!
31. Transform Any Polish Into GelCall it a mani miracle: Ciate’s Geltox topcoat ($99; sephora.com) turns any regular lacquer into a gel finish with a swipe and a 60-second LED cure. “Let polish dry for 30 minutes before applying the Geltox,” advises manicurist Dawn Sterling. “Remove polish with an acetone soak.”
InStyle.com's assistant editor tried out the kit and reported back on the results. Click to find out what she thought!
1 of 31
Cure What Ails You
Ah, New Year's Day Hangovers. If you wake up functional yet fuzzy, steep a cup of licorice-root tea to settle your stomach. Can't lift your head or even think about prepping tea? Integrative doctor Frank Lipman suggests popping S-Acetyk Glutathione ($56/60 capsules; vitaminrite.com). "It's the most potent antioxidant we know of," he says.
Powered By ZergNet