Jonathan Anderson, soon to be a household name, creates the most covetable looks for his J.W. Anderson label, and his infectious collections are arguably one of the year's most anticipated. As expected, his spring/summer 2014 collection got everyone talking this past September after it hit a London runway. Still, Anderson is far from new to the scene: His first womenswear collection was introduced for autumn/winter 2011-12, and he also had a hand in designing a capsule collection at Versus, Versace's little sister label. We caught up with the designer because, like everyone else, we want to know more. Read on for his top secret tell-all.
Your personal style in one word?
What should every woman own?
Classic black moccasins are ideal for adding edge to a look. Wear them with simple tuxedo trousers that reveal just a hint of ankle.
The secret to mixing classic with trendy?
If you're sporting a seasonal piece, such as a pair of chic ruffled shorts, ground it with a basic that you've had forever, like a chunky sweater.
Favorite shopping site?
Modaoperandi.com lets you pre-order collections as soon as they hit the runway, months before they're available in stores.
Sour Jelly Belly candy. We only have tiny boxes in the U.K., so when I'm stateside, I buy giant bags.
Click to see Anderson's favorite place to go when he wants to escape, the one product he can't live without, his unexpected inspirations, and more.http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2013/WRN/101013-HP-taylor-swift-2..."]
1. When I want to escape..."I daydream about my native Ireland. Everyone should go there at least once in their lifetime. The vast landscapes and the untouched countryside are so refreshing."
2. My favorite flower..."Classic roses in every color of the rainbow feel timeless."
3. My unexpected inspiration..."There's something graphically interesting about the combination of red and yellow."
4. To look chic in an instant..."Wear something in a menswear-inspired fabric, such as wool. I find masculine textures on a woman incredibly sexy."
5. I can't live without..."Kiehl's Rare Earth, which is great for extracting the toxins from my skin. It makes me feel wide awake."
Pore Cleansing Masque, $23; kiehls.com.