You'll always be true to your blues, but it may be time to spice things up! Recently, denim designers have translated acclaimed runway prints onto our beloved denim bottoms: We spotted Valentino’s delft porcelain pattern and Milly’s holographic hue on jeans, and we have sourced these pairs and more to help you find the perfectly patterned fit. Click to shop denim inspired by praised Fall 2013 ready-to-wear runways looks, including Givenchy’s paisley, Alberta Ferretti’s plaid, Kenzo’s croc, L’Wren Scott’s embroidery, and more.
1. Blue & White PrintDelft porcelain has forever rested on the shelves of a china cabinet, but it’s time to take the pottery pattern to the street-after a quick stop on the runway, of course.
THE INSPIRATION: Valentino
SHOP IT: Rebecca Minkoff, cotton and spandex, $128; rebeccaminkoff.com
2. PaisleyPaisley is no longer a print of the past-as a matter of fact, it is undeniably a motif of the moment. Pair your paisley with a simple top to counterpart the busyness of this bold bottom.
THE INSPIRATION: Givenchy
SHOP IT: Forever 21, cotton, polyester, and spandex, $23; forever21.com
3. HolographicDenim has been in demand for ages experiencing evolutions and innovations, but nothing feels more futuristic than a phosphorescent finish. Hi-shine silvers lend a glamorous glint to an otherwise casual style.
THE INSPIRATION: Milly
SHOP IT: J Brand, Lamb suede, $994; jbrand.com
4. CrocodileIf you’re a sucker for denim but the beloved bottom seems too casual for evening outings, look for a sultry pair embossed with a croc print. Combine with like colors and you will be slithering into the night.
THE INSPIRATION: Kenzo
SHOP IT: DL1961, ProModal and polyester, $248; dl1961.com
5. Black & White Stripes
Looking for a figure-flatting pair of jeans? You can't go wrong with a bottom banded with vertical stripes. Plus, black is the dominate hue here-adding another complimentary element.
THE INSPIRATION: Comme des Garçons
SHOP IT: Hudson, Cotton and lycra, $154; hudsonjeans.com
6. PlaidPlaid is this seasons’s neutral. When the grid-like pattern is translated onto skinny jeans in denim's natural blue hue, it symbolizes a subtle way to incorporate the timeless yet trendy pattern into your denim wardrobe.
THE INSPIRATION: Alberta Ferretti
SHOP IT: Blank, Cotton and elastane, $98; blanknyc.com
7. GeometricSharp turns and crisp lines make for a graphic impact and this geometric framework reflects a biker's bottom. To temper the rigid linear print, wear with all black to create a monochromatic moto look.
THE INSPIRATION: Altuzarra
SHOP IT: J Brand, Cotton, polyester, elastane, $348; shopbop.com
8. PatchworkPatchwork has belonged to denim for decades. Patches originated as a serviceable extra, which since evolved into a glam detail. This season, patches not just an add-on, they unify as one-creating the perfect pair.
THE INSPIRATION: Jen Kao
SHOP IT: Blank Denim, tencel, cotton, and spandex, $88; shopbop.com
9. Black on Black EmbroideryElaborate embroidery is expected on the runway, but when spotted on a pair of denim it is a pleasant surprise.
THE INSPIRATION: L’Wren Scott
SHOP IT: J Brand, Cotton, polyester, and elastane, $372; neimanmarcus.com
10. Black & White Colorblock
Flattering, streamlined, and seasonless-this pair will work with any top, whether it be a simple tee or a tough leather jacket.
THE INSPIRATION: Alberta Ferretti
SHOP IT: Hudson Jeans, Cotton, polyester, and lycra, $220; hudsonjeans.com
11. StuddedIf all over grommets feel too Hell's Angels for your taste, opt for delicate clusters of pyramid-shaped studs that won't overwhelm your outfit.
THE INSPIRATION: Diesel Black Gold
SHOP IT: TEXTILE Elizabeth and James, Cotton and elastane, $328; shopbop.com
12. Double Dose of TextureDual textures adds dimension to a monochromatic look. And with the texture trend that's happening, one fabric just isn't enough.
THE INSPIRATION: Fendi
SHOP IT: J Brand, Cotton and elastane, $TKTK; jbrand.com
13. BrocadeUnlike some patterns that hog the spotlight, these subtly swirling vines and leaves combine gracefully with florals and solids alike.
THE INSPIRATION: Vera Wang
SHOP IT: Not Your Daughters Jeans, Cotton, polyester, spandex, $130; nydj.com
14. CamouflageCombat-ready hues-olive, taupe, hunter green-are just as neutral as indigo, meaning they'll work with the items you normally wear with jeans.
THE INSPIRATION: Christopher Kane
SHOP IT: Joe’s Jeans, Cotton and nylon, $185; joesjeans.com
15. CrackleIn the late '70s, punks showed their subversive side with shreds, rips, and holes. This deconstructed peeling-paint patina is the 2013 edition.
THE INSPIRATION: Balenciaga
SHOP IT: AG Adriano Goldschmied, Cotton, tencel, and polyurethane, $178; agjeans.com
16. MetallicGold lamé isn't for everyone. Burnished denim in silver, gold, or bronze offers as similar shine and sparkle yet in a more comfortable and flattering fit.
THE INSPIRATION: Diane von Furstenberg
SHOP IT: Guess, Cotton, polyester, and lycra, $138; guess.com
17. QuiltingIt's what happens when Grandma's sewing circle meets your edgiest friend: The distinctive diamond stitching toughens up. This pair boasts slimming tuxedo panels.
THE INSPIRATION: 3.1 Phillip Lim
SHOP IT: Hudson, Cotton and elastane, $245; hudsonjeans.com
18. HoundstoothIf you want to expand your denim collection but printed bottoms aren't your thing, add a black and white houndstooth pair-you will be checking off a patterned bottom from your to-do denim list.
THE INSPIRATION: Michael Kors
SHOP IT: Étoile Isabel Marant, Cotton, polyester, and elastane, $385; net-a-porter.com