An iconic jacket is a must-have investment piece, so finding the perfect one calls for some serious decision making. Will you go for a bright cropped style decorated with zippers and leather insets, or an unfinished tweed topper in an autumnal wash? Well, no one said you have to choose just one. We gathered 8 boxy jackets in our November issue to round out your outerwear wardrobe, each complete with a special detail (think: chic raw-edges and chain-link extras). Looking for styling inspiration? Take a cue from Proenza Schouler and wear with like colors and angular cuts or read on for style tips straight from the mag:
This type of cardigan jacket, which has been around since the 1920s, never goes out of style. The latest take is embellished, even edgy. You'll see fringe, beadwork, chains, and zippers.
A perfect hug at the shoulders makes this straight silhouette hang just right. Figure flaws? Who cares? You're covered.
A tweed jacket works well with a turtleneck, jeans, and heels. At night, metallic looks cool with sleek black pants and pumps.
• 7 Great Quotes We Couldn’t Fit Into Our November Cover Story with Taylor Swift
• InStyle’s November Man of Style Is A Real Life Romeo: Orlando Bloom
• Inspired By Our Taylor Swift November Cover: Shop 16 Emerald Pieces
1. White House Black MarketAcrylic and metallic fiber, $158; whitehouseblackmarket.com.
2. BaslerWool tweed, $750; bloomingdales.com for stores.
3. Tory BurchCotton, nylon, acrylic, and polyester, $575; toryburch.com.
4. Joe Fresh RunwayPolyester-blend tweed, $129; joefresh.com for stores.
5. Rebecca TaylorCotton, polyester, wool, and leather, $495; rebeccataylor.com.
6. MICHAEL Michael KorsAcrylic, polyester, wool, rayon, and cotton, $195; michaelkors.com.
7. C. WonderAcrylic and wool, $168; cwonder.com.
8. Alice + Olivia by Stacey BendetTweed, $495; aliceandolivia.com.