Dec 14, 2017 @ 3:30 PM
The $400 Budget
1. no titleThree InStyle staffers give us the lowdown on what they're craving for fall. The catch? Each one has a limited amount to spend ($400, $2,000, $4,000). Over the next four months, you'll see just how they strategize to round out their wardrobes.
2. My Fall InspirationsFall is by far my favorite season. I like getting cozy in jeans, sweaters, boots, and socks. And autumnal hues are easy to work with.
From top to bottom:
I'm just so into birds and feathers right now. I'm searching for a taxidermy peacock for my apartment. They're so beautiful.
I loved the layering at the Haider Ackerman show-and the colors, especially the dark peacock blue.
One of my best friends lives in Turkey, and I'm dying to visit her again. I can't wait to search for kilims in the Istanbul markets.
-Wendy Wallace, senior market editor
3. Leather LeggingsThese leggings look like leather and fit like a glove. I'll wear them under dresses instead of tights on cold days.
Faux-leather leggings, $80; gap.com.
4. A Spikey NecklaceWhat a bang for your buck! You'd expect a necklace with his much visual impact to cost a lot more.
Metal necklace, $18; aldoshoes.com for store locations.
5. Comfy MocsI buy moccasins every year and wear them until it snows.
Suede booties, Minnetonka, $43; shoebuy.com.
6. A Printed ScarfFeathers are everywhere this season. This scarf is thin enough to wrap around twice or leave long.
Linen-viscose scarf, H&M, $18; see hm.com for stores.
7. Simple JewelryGrowing up in Texas, I used to hunt for arrowheads. This will be a nice little addition to my wrist.
Linen bracelet with sterling silver, Dogeared, $26; dogeared.com.
8. Patterned BeltAn embroidered belt is an easy way to add color to my neutral wardrobe.
Faux-leather belt, Forever 21, $4; see forever21.com for stores.
9. A Crop TopI love the cropped shape. I'll layer this over tanks and long-sleeve T-shirts.
Terrycloth top, Solow; $75; solowstyle.com.
10. Nylon ShoelacesThese laces are the cheapest, greatest way to make my boots from last year totally cute.
Nylon shoelaces, Sierra Lace, $4; campmor.com.
11. A Knitted BeanieSo I don't get hat head, I tuck all my hair under a beanie. When I come inside and pull off the hat, my hair looks normal.
Acrylic-Lurex hat, American Living for JCPenny, $17; americanliving.com.
12. Fingerless GlovesI want to stay warm, but I also need my fingers to check email!
Wool-acrylic fingerless gloves, $13, Old Navy; oldnavy.com.
13. A Wool CoatSometimes a bargain is too good to pass up! When something this cute is so reasonably priced, I know I'll regret it if I don't get it.
Wool coat with neoprene, Joe Fresh, $99; 888-495-5111 for stores.
1 of 13
Three InStyle staffers give us the lowdown on what they're craving for fall. The catch? Each one has a limited amount to spend ($400, $2,000, $4,000). Over the next four months, you'll see just how they strategize to round out their wardrobes.
Powered By ZergNet