Jul 24, 2017 @ 7:00 AM
Signature Style: Barbra Streisand
1. 1963"This is at Basin Street East in New York. I was opening for Benny Goodman and I remember deciding to make a gown out of cotton gingham tablecloth material."
2. 1966"I was at the Chanel collections in Paris. I had leopard-skin pillows on my bed, and I decided to have a leopard suit made. This was before PETA! Going to the fashion houses was exciting. Unfortunately, I was sick to my stomach for 10 days from a bouillabaisse I ate in Marseille. If I look a little strange, it's because I thought I might throw up. I don't think I was even aware that Marlene Dietrich was at the end of the row."
3. 1976"Here I am with Kris Kristofferson in A Star Is Born. I designed the dress: I took a couple of my silver and black shawls and draped them. Isn't that cool? Slinky, snaky, shiny. I gave myself a little credit at the end of the movie-it just said, 'Miss Streisand's clothes from her closet.' I was made fun of, but it was the truth!"
4. 1979"This is from The Main Event. I really trained for that movie. I went to Gilda's Class in Hollywood. Some of the women in the film are really women from the class. Haven't leggings come back again?"
5. 1991"This is at the Prince of Tides premiere in London. I sat with Princess Diana in the balcony. You're always supposed to wait for her to stand, but she had me stand up first. It was so lovely of her. That's a Tiffany & Co. necklace from the turn of the century and the suit I remember buying many years before at Beltrami in Rome."
6. 1994: InStyle's First Cover"We shot this at my old compound in Malibu," says Streisand, who appeared on the cover of InStyle's first issue in June 1994. "I still have the furniture. What an honor to be the first. God, I can't believe it has been 15 years!"
See 15 years of InStyle covers
1 of 6
"This is at Basin Street East in New York. I was opening for Benny Goodman and I remember deciding to make a gown out of cotton gingham tablecloth material."
Powered By ZergNet