Jul 26, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
Leighton Meester's Style Secrets
1. How did you feel going brunette?"I'm naturally blond, but since my hair was bleached at the time, the dye soaked it up quickly and turned green! I didn't cry, but I thought, I'd better get this part. Fortunately, my roommate back then was a hairdresser, so he helped me fix it."
2. Any wild hair ‘dos in your past?"I've dyed my hair a million colors-purple was pretty crazy. When I was doing the movie Drive Thru, my character was punked out, so I put black and bright red streaks in it. At this point I don't want to go too crazy with color because I know how long it takes to get my hair back to health."
MORE! Star cuts that work for you
3. No makeup and you look amazing. How?"Being a brunette complements my skin tone more so I can wear less makeup, which is totally my thing. I also started a skin regimen: Before bed, I apply La Roche-Posay's Cleansing Milk to my face with a cotton pad and use Evian Mineral Water Spray instead of hot water."
MORE! Best makeup shades for you
4. Are you completely over headbands?"I like headbands, but I'm definitely not as obsessed with them as Blair is. Actually, I just got a couple, but they're not very Blair-like. They have little jewels on them. I do wear hats a lot, though. In the summer I'll wear a nice straw hat that blocks the sun, or I'll wear a cap or fedora to cover up bad hair days."
MORE! Blair Waldorf's headbands
5. Any tips from your hairstylist?"Yes! He (Charles Baker Strahan) tells me not to wash my hair every day… And ever since I bought a Mason Pearson brush, my hair is much healthier. The brush is especially good in the winter, when little dreadlocks start to form in the back of my head."
MORE! Stylists all-time favorite products
6. Who are your style icons?"My mom, for one. She gave me a bunch of cool '70s and '80s clothes. The only time I ever get complimented on what I'm wearing in my daily life is when it's one of her pieces, so I'm thankful she kept it all. Playing Blair has gotten me into Bette Davis, Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn... Nowadays, I really love Cate Blanchett. She's experimental, but in the right way. She always looks comfortable."
VIDEO! Watch Leighton Meester's InStyle Hair cover shoot
7. Was high school a fashion rivalry?"It was bad. I was picked on because I was a four-eyes and a dork. We didn't have a ton of money, so I couldn't say, "Mom, I need to have these crazy expensive jeans." I've always been able to pull a style together, but school was the last place I wanted to do that for. I had long, tangled hair and wore hemp necklaces, baggy T-shirts and not-so-cute jeans. I mean, for crying out loud, we were just going to go throw on gym clothes and run around the track! I've grown up as far as the fashion world goes, but I still identify with that high school me."
MORE! Leighton Meester's transformation
1 of 7
How did you feel going brunette?
"I'm naturally blond, but since my hair was bleached at the time, the dye soaked it up quickly and turned green! I didn't cry, but I thought, I'd better get this part. Fortunately, my roommate back then was a hairdresser, so he helped me fix it."
Powered By ZergNet