Feb 23, 2018 @ 5:15 PM
Summer Manicure Must-Try Trends
1. no titleFrom pastels, to neons, to edgy metallics, we’re loving the dynamic trends all over the spring and summer runways. But the question remains: Which nail polish works best with each ensemble? We spoke to celebrity manicurists about which lacquers to pair with the hottest runway trends. Keep reading for tips on how to nail a couture effect.
2. PastelsInstead of going for an uber-feminine pastel nail, celebrity manicurist Jenna Hipp, who works with Michelle Williams and Jessica Alba, recommends going for an ombre mani in muted tones to contrast with the rest of the look. “This trend is the perfect canvas for an ombre nail, which is achieved by creating a color fade from one nail to the next.” Our pick for an easy gradient? The New Black’s Bank Holiday Weekend set ($22; sephora.com), which takes the guesswork out of a natural fade.
3. Feminine FrillsWhen it comes to delicate details, as seen on the McQueen runway, Gwyneth Paltrow’s manicurist Ashlie Johnson advises passing on candy pink hues in lieu of soft metallics and dimensional neutrals. “There’s no question here-when it comes to this trend, I’m loving Chanel’s Beige and Delight shades ($26 each; chanel.com),” she said. “You can pair both colors together. Wear beige on the hands, it’s a stunning slightly shimmery nude that really flatters any outfit. For the toes, it’s all about Delight, which is the most amazing rose gold I’ve ever seen.”
4. Bold PrintsFor the bold nature prints, like the one seen on the Dolce amp Gabbana catwalk, Charlize Theron's manicurist April Foreman thinks the trend is best suited when paired with lacquers in organic hues. “These designs look great paired with equally bold nails in deep hues like Tom Ford’s Plum Noir ($30; saks.com),” she said. “Alternately, more subdued prints look better with neutral nails like Dior’s Incognito ($23; dior.com). Either way, you want a color that will compliment the look, not compete with it.”
5. BrightsDay-glo hues, like the ones seen at Marni, look best when layered with transparent fabrics. Take the trend to your nails by painting a sheer lacquer over one of your favorite tawny nude hues-and double your nail polish collection to boot. "Layering a neutral with the sheer formula of the HIPPxRGB Nail Tint ($16; rgbcosmetics.com) creates a fresh new interpretation of last season's must-have shades," said Hipp.
6. ColorblockingChannel the clean lines in a bold colorblocked ensemble, like Stella McCartney's, with a true red nail. “The crisp, saturated hues are really inspirational for the nail look," Hipp said. "Try NARS’s Dovima ($18; narscosmetics.com) to stand out, and fit right in.”
7. MetallicsFor a strong metallic getup, Hipp advises going for a nail that is just as edgy. “This look is about cutting edge lines with sharp angles,” Hipp said. “A deeper color palette lends itself to darker nails-a big plus for those who aren’t into lilacs and pastels.” Her pick? NCLA’s nail wraps ($16; shopncla.com). The rub-on nail polish strips are easy enough to do yourself, decked out in a cool pattern to boot.
1 of 7
From pastels, to neons, to edgy metallics, we’re loving the dynamic trends all over the spring and summer runways. But the question remains: Which nail polish works best with each ensemble? We spoke to celebrity manicurists about which lacquers to pair with the hottest runway trends. Keep reading for tips on how to nail a couture effect.
Powered By ZergNet