Mar 20, 2018 @ 4:45 PM
Stars in Bright Makeup
1. Stars in Bright Makeup (And What You Can Learn!)Spring is finally here-and the Sun isn't the only thing shining brighter! Bold, saturated colors are having a serious moment, and while we love the blue eye makeup we spotted on Dior's runway, the day-glo hue may not translate as well in the real world. That's why we asked celebrity makeup artists to spill their best tips on rocking bright lips and vivid lids! Keep reading to see what they said.
2. Mind Your FinishWHO: Kirsten Dunst wore hot pink lipstick to the 17th Annual Critics' Choice Awards.
WHY IT WORKS: When using strong colors like Dunst's pink, stay away from glossy finishes to keep the look modern. "Matte or creamy finishes with this color make more of a statement," said Dubroff. "This is about a punch of saturated color, rather than a glass-like sheen. Color this intense would look too '80s if you made it glossy."
3. Stay In the Same Color FamilyWHO: At the BAFTA Tea Party in Los Angeles, Charlize Theron rocked a satiny poppy lip.
WHY IT WORKS: With orange-based colors like this, pick out a dress that compliments your lip color. "Because Charlize's dress is yellow, it works with the strong red tones in her lip, and the look feels very summery," said makeup artist Pati Dubroff, who works with Theron. "Keep eye shadows in warm hues like gold or copper, and give skin a quick sweep of peach blush or bronzer to create a glow."
4. Keep It SimpleWHO: At the AFI Awards in Beverly Hills, Rooney Mara wore a dusty blue shadow.
WHY IT WORKS: Because Mara's eye shadow is more grey than cerulean, it's a baby step into the world of colored shadow. Keep the rest of the makeup on your face to a minimum-save for a few coats of mascara-so your eyes can take a subtle center stage.
5. Go for a ContrastWHO: Julianne Moore went for a juicy berry lip at the amFAR Gala in New York City.
WHY IT WORKS: It's all about the contrasting cool and warm tones. "If Julianne had worn an orangey red, the look would get muddy because there wouldn't be as much of a difference between her lip and her hair," Dubroff said. "Blue tones are striking against pale skin." Moore's bright berry works on fair and dark skin colors alike, but opt for a more rosy shade if your tone is slightly warmer.
6. Start with a Blank CanvasWHO: Glee actress Naya Rivera sported a cool fuchsia lipstick for her birthday in Las Vegas.
WHY IT WORKS: When choosing a statement-making shade, Rivera's makeup artist Jo Baker advises starting from scratch. "The key to pulling off any bold lip color is to begin with smooth, conditioned lips, then mute out the natural color," she said. "Use an almost dry swipe of foundation from either a brush or sponge, and dab onto the lip. This will give you a neutral starting point."
7. Anchor PastelsWHO: Emma Stone wore petal pink shadow to the 84th Annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles.
WHY IT WORKS: Stone's pastel eyes looked less Barbie-ish and more sophisticated thanks to a little definition. "Pink eye shadows on their own tend to make eyes look sickly," said Rachel Goodwin, who created Stone's look. "What really grounded the shadow was the winged-out black eyeliner. Especially if you have light eyes like Emma, even a thin swipe of liner will tie the look together."
8. Remember Muted MetallicsWHO: Fergie matched her orange eye shadow to her dress at the 2012 Grammys.
WHY IT WORKS: Pairing a flat orange shadow with the singer's bold citrus dress would be too matchy-matchy, which is why makeup artist Ronit Shapow added bronze tones to Fergie's look. "I added a pop of warm gold shadow to the center of her lid using my fingertip to soften the color," Shapow said. The same rules apply for other bold colors: pewter pairs well with green, gold tempers bright yellow.
1 of 8
Stars in Bright Makeup (And What You Can Learn!)
Spring is finally here-and the Sun isn't the only thing shining brighter! Bold, saturated colors are having a serious moment, and while we love the blue eye makeup we spotted on Dior's runway, the day-glo hue may not translate as well in the real world. That's why we asked celebrity makeup artists to spill their best tips on rocking bright lips and vivid lids! Keep reading to see what they said.
Powered By ZergNet