May 26, 2017 @ 9:00 AM
How to Wear Spring's Rainbow Nail Colors
1. How to Wear Spring's Rainbow Nail ColorsRainbow bright nail colors are fun to look at-and intimidating to try on. But thanks to a few key tips from Ji Baek, the owner of Rescue Beauty Lounge in N.Y.C., even the most shocking enamels can become wearable everyday accents. "Think of nail polish as an accessory, like a chunky necklace or a gorgeous handbag," Baek says. "You can make a statement without being flashy." So step away from the sheer pink and embrace the color storm, one shade at a time.
2. YellowHOW TO WEAR IT "Yellow nail polish looks amazing with khaki and safari colors," Baek says, dubbing the look "army girl chic."
SHADES TO TRY (From left.) Pop Beauty Nail Glam in Sunny, $10; popbeauty.co.uk. Revlon Top Speed Nail Enamel in Electric, $5; target.com. Barielle in Soul-er Powered, $10; barielle.com.
3. LilacHOW TO WEAR IT "If you're wearing lilac polish, you have to wear leather," Baek says. "The leather adds a hint of irony to a prim shade. Lilac softens the hard edge of the leather."
SHADES TO TRY Lancome Le Vernis in Violet Groove, $18; lancome.com. Rescue Beauty Lounge Nail Polish in Insouciant, $18; rescuebeauty.com. Tracy Reese for Sally Hansen in Delphinium, $7; drugstore.com.
4. Hot Pink
HOW TO WEAR IT "Hot pink looks cute with an all-black outfit," says Baek. "Avoid the impulse to pair it with bright patterns or florals. Your look gets too busy."
SHADES TO TRY Sonia Kashuk in Jammin, $5; target.com. YSL Beaute La Laque in #19 Fuchsia Pink, $20; yslbeautyus.com. Rimmel London Lasting Finish Pro Nail Enamel in Posh Pink, $4; rimmellondon.com for stores.
5. PearlHOW TO WEAR IT "Look, not everyone is going to wear blue toes. If your comfort level is sheer pink, this is the shade for you," Baek says of the milky iridescent tone. "It's a beautiful safety zone color."
SHADES TO TRY Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Pearl Drop, $25; chanel.com. MAC Nail Lacquer in Frayed to Order, $14; maccosmetics.com. Essie Nail Polish in Kisses and Bises, $8; essie.com.
6. OrangeHOW TO WEAR IT "Orange is a tough shade to wear, but it's everywhere this year. Try it with a white T-shirt and jeans or any other crisp clean outfit," Baek says.
SHADES TO TRY Nails Inc. in Porchester Place, $17; nailsinc.com for stores. Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Gamma, $14; sephora.com. O.P.I. Nail Lacquer in Y'all Come Back, Ya' Hear?, 1-800-341-9999 for stores.
7. Mint GreenHOW TO WEAR IT "This is a very feminine color so pair it with a deep chocolate brown or an edgy gray," Baek says. "All the pastels colors look great with a punk rock twist."
SHADES TO TRY Hello Kitty for Sephora Liquid Nail Art in Minty, $10; sephora.com. Ginger + Liz in Ivy League, $12; gingerandliz.com. Borghese Rapido Fast Dry Nail Lacquer in Menta, $8; ulta.com.
8. Bright Blue