Apr 10, 2017 @ 2:45 PM
You Can Do Statement Nails
1. You Can Do Statement NailsIt's surprisingly easy to master the look. Just follow this insider advice from Beauty Director Amy Synnott-D'Annibale.
2. The New Reverse French ManiUse any color you want (black, silver, neon) for the tip-just don't pick white.
WHY I LOVE THIS LOOK:
1. It's a simple way to seem instantly hip. Do you still secretly love a French mani, even though it's been borderline "out of style" since Valley girls roamed the halls of Ridgemont High? Just play around with your shades (go dark, add some metallic) and voila! You're one of the cool kids.
2. It's like arts and crafts—for grown-ups. I firmly believe that there would be far fewer antidepressants in the public water system if everyone indulged their inner child once in a while. Have fun! Get creative! And while you're at it, pin those funky digits to Pinterest.
3. It's easier to remove than a tattoo. So what if you have a job interview tomorrow morning? Or you plan to spend the day with your super conservative mother-in-law? The only thing standing between you and a classic pale pink mani is a bottle of acetone. Go wild...
ORLY Nail lacquer in Liquid Vinyl, ($9; orlybeauty.com).
CND Nail Colour in Silver Chrome, ($9; bebeautiful.com).
3. Metallic FrenchApply a clear base coat and let dry. Then add two coats of a sheer neutral shade to the whole nail, and allow to dry completely (15 to 20 minutes). Place French manicure tip guides below the natural white line of each fingernail, then paint one coat of an opaque silver polish to tips. Once dry (wait another 15 minutes), carefully remove guides, and cover the whole nail with a clear topcoat.
ORLY Nail lacquer in Shine, ($9; orlybeauty.com).
ORLY French Manicure Tip Guides, ($4; orlybeauty.com).
4. Polka DotsGive yourself a basic mani (a base coat plus two layers of polish) with a dark color. Wait 15 to 20 minutes for the lacquer to dry, then get dotty. Make sure the shade you choose for the dots is opaque, not sheer. To vary the dot sizes, apply the polish freehand. Or use the rounded end of a bobby pin for uniform dots. When they are dry, seal with a topcoat.
DEBORAH LIPPMANN Nail lacquer in I'm Not Innocent and Fade to Black, ($16 each; deborahlippmann.com).
5. Moon ManiSay hello to your old friends, paper hole reinforcements. (If you don't know what these are, ask your mom.) First, apply a clear base coat to nails. Cut reinforcements in half, and stick a crescent over the moon of each nail as a guide. Apply two coats of a vibrant color such as emerald. Allow to dry for 15 to 20 minutes, remove reinforcements, and finish with a topcoat.
PRITI Nail lacquer in Slenderlady Palm, ($13; pritinyc.com).
AVERY Reinforcements for hole-punched pages, ($2; staples.com).
1 of 5
You Can Do Statement Nails
It's surprisingly easy to master the look. Just follow this insider advice from Beauty Director Amy Synnott-D'Annibale.
Powered By ZergNet