While nail art can often be intimidating to try yourself, graphic line manis are simple—even for the novice.
Celebrity manicurist Jin Soon Choi created these DIY linear nail designs for Your Look, a special issue of InStyle. Click through the gallery to follow her step-by-step guide for achieving the cool striped manicures, plus get more designs in Your Look (on newsstands now)!
1. Graphic Cream & Red StripesStep 1:
Apply a base coast, then two coats of nude polish and let dry.
2. Graphic Cream & Red StripesStep 2:
Dip a striping brush ($10; sephora.com) into orange polish and create thin stripes from the base to tip. Work in a quick haphazard motion to create the effect seen here.
3. Graphic Cream & Red StripesStep 3:
Apply a matte top coat to finish.
4. Metallic with Accent StripesStep 1:
After swiping on base coat, apply two coats of silver nail polish. We like Nars polish in Amarapura ($20; narscosmetics.com).
5. Metallic with Accent StripesStep 2:
Using a striping brush, paint diagonal deep purple stripes of varying lengths.
3. Alternate maroon stripes with emerald green lines. Try Revlon Colorstay Gel in High Stakes ($8; drugstore.com).
6. Metallic with Accent StripesStep 4:
Finish with top coat.
7. Black & White Criss-CrossStep 1:
Apply a base coat, then apply a creamy opaque white polish and let dry. Our favorite is Jin Soon nail lacquer in Kooky White ($18; drugstore.com).
8. Black & White Criss-CrossStep 2:
Dip a striping brush into black polish (we used the one found in Kiss nail art Paint & Stencil Kit in Gala, $7; drugstore.com) and create diagonal lines across nails. Repeat in the opposite direction to create a web-like effect.
9. Black & White Criss-CrossStep 3:
Seal nails with a top coat.
10. Burgundy & Lilac ZigZagsStep 1:
Paint on base coat, then two coats of burgundy nail polish (we like Estee Lauder Pure Color lacquer in Lust, $21; esteelauder.com) and let dry.
11. Burgundy & Lilac ZigZagsStep 2:
Dip a striping brush into opaque lilac polish (try Essie Polish in Full Steam Ahead, $9; essie.com) and zigzag lines towards the middle.
12. Burgundy & Lilac ZigZagsStep 3:
Apply a top coat to finish.