Aug 19, 2017 @ 12:45 PM
Change is in the Hair
1. Change is in the HairThe bobby pins were flying on fall runways as stylists sent out a bevy of artful and feminine dos that were then swiftly embraced by the red-carpet brigade. Here, our favorite new takes on knots, twists, and tails-with how-to's from the pros.
2. Low & Sleek KnotsTHE LOOK: Going extra-low gives the bun of the season a "very glamorous and seductive feel," says Redken Creative Consultant Guido.
GET IT: For sleekness with a touch of volume, coat damp hair with a volumizer and blow-dry straight. After parting, pull hair into a low ponytail. ("I used my fingers to rake it back so it has a bit of volume," says Guido.) Then, spritz on a shine spray to "create sleek hair, which is great for a dramatic evening look," he adds. Next, twist hair into a chignon and secure with a U-pin. Finish with hair spray.
Try on Gwyneth Paltrow?s hairstyles now!
Try on Diane Kruger?s hairstyles now!
3. Low & Sleek KnotsRedken Shine Flash 02 Glistening Mist, $17
4. Victory RollsTHE LOOK: Shifting the classic French updo to the side produces a "graphic and modern" look, says Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals global creative director. Scarlett Johansson's and Charlize Theron's relaxed rolls update the 1940s look with a fresh and elegant air.
GET IT: Prep hair with a smoothing balm, then blow-dry and make a deep side part. Comb hair tightly across the back, away from the side where your hair is parted, and secure with pins. Next, roll hair into a loose French twist. Push the roll upward and inward, securing it with pins as you go.
Try on Scarlett Johansson?s hairstyles now!
Try on Charlize Theron?s hairstyles now!
5. Victory RollsWella Flowing Form Smoothing Balm, $14
6. Sexy Side-Parted PonytailsTHE LOOK: This fall's side pony gets its polished appearance from a side part and extra shine, says hairstylist Guido. Give it a more modern effect, he adds, by having the sides cover your ears.
GET IT: Apply a smoothing blow-dry lotion to damp hair, then use a blow-dryer to straighten. Next, make a short side part and pull strands into a very low ponytail. A finish of spray, Guido says, locks in the shape.
Try on Beyonce?s hairstyles now!
7. Sexy Side-Parted PonytailsRedken Satinwear 02 Prepping Blowdry Lotion, $18
8. Infinity BraidsTHE LOOK: Plaits were played for romance on the fall runways with accents and updos that were intricate but not fussy. The look? Youthful without being cutesy.
GET IT: Hairstylist Renato Campora advises prepping dry hair with wax to add shine. Next, he says, braid y- to 1-inch sections from the crown down the back of your head. When you're finished, take the individual braids and work them artfully up and across to assemble the updo. (Enlist a friend if you need to.) Tuck in and pin ends so they don't show.
Try on Lea Michele’s hairstyles now!
9. Infinity BraidsFekkai Coiff Nonchalant Piecing and Forming Wax, $25
10. Statement AccessoriesTHE LOOK: Gold hair adornments, like those cropping up this fall, are as opulent as they are playful. The Dolce & Gabbana runway topped their lavish dos with ornate gilded headbands, while at Rodarte, hair-stylist Odile Gilbert added Gatsby chic with a twinkling hair clip (seen on Kirsten Dunst left).
GET IT: Building some texture into your hair with volumizer gives a clip or barrette a little hold and helps achieve the not-too-perfect vibe that Gilbert says looks right against these hair jewels.
Try on Kirsten Dunst?s hairstyles now!
11. Statement AccessoriesRodarte Gold-plated metal piece with star clusters ($690; rodarte.net)
Jennifer Behr Petite metal leaves barrette ($62; jenniferbehr.com)
1 of 11
Change is in the Hair
The bobby pins were flying on fall runways as stylists sent out a bevy of artful and feminine dos that were then swiftly embraced by the red-carpet brigade. Here, our favorite new takes on knots, twists, and tails-with how-to's from the pros.
Powered By ZergNet