We don’t need to repeat it. You know the most important thing to pack for spending a summer afternoon or weekend at the beach is sunscreen. While you may have perfected slathering on your formula of choice from head-to-toe, there’s one part of your body you might be neglecting: your lips. Yet, your pout isn’t immune to sunburns and skin cancer so you need to make a habit of regularly applying sunscreen to your lips too.
SPF-infused lip balms boast the UV protection you need to fight harmful rays, and tend to be a bit waxier so they adhere to your lips better than the average gloss or balm with little sheen (win!). Even better, many formulas are packed with antioxidants like vitamins C and E that will also keep lips smooth and hydrated. If you can’t bear to part with your trusty bullet when you hit the water, don’t let your lips suffer. A layer of balm under your favorite lipstick will still keep your lips burn-free, or simply swipe on a tinted SPF balm with a hint of sheer color for a one-step solution. Ready for fun in the sun? We’ve rounded up our seven favorite balms that will help you pucker up and kiss sun damage goodbye.
1. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Sugar Berry
Fresh | $24
2. Dior Addict Lip Glow In Coral with SPF 10
Dior | $33
3. Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm SPF 20 In Healthy Blush
Neutrogena | $9
4. Ilia Lip Conditioner SPF 15
Ilia | $26
5. Coola Organic Sunscreen SPF 30 Mineral Liplux In Skinny Dip
Coola | $18
6. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Protection Stick with SPF 15
Elizabeth Arden | $19
7. Supergoop! Acaifusion Lip Balm SPF 30
Supergoop | $10