Following a year of extremes, women in Hollywood either played it safe or took a risk—and as it turns out, the bigger the risk, the bigger the payoff.
WATCH: Best Dressed at the 2016 Golden Globes
1. Julianne Moore in Tom Ford
It pays to be besties with your favorite designer for a dress like this.
2. Cate Blanchett in Givenchy
It’s just fun. This kind of dress wouldn’t cut it at the Oscars, but at the Globes, it was a chance worth taking.
3. Kate Winslet in Ralph Lauren
Classic for sure. Safe? You bet. But also perfect.
4. Jane Fonda in Saint Laurent Couture by Hedi Slimane
Seriously, no one else could pull this off and still wind up on a best-dressed list.
5. Alicia Vikander in Louis Vuitton
In a silk dress that looked almost synthetic, Vikander was the perfect actress to represent Nicolas Ghesquière’s hyper-technical futuristic treatment of luxury textiles.
6. Lady Gaga in custom Versace
America’s bloodiest sweetheart.
7. Jennifer Lopez in Giambattista Valli Haute Couture
On a night for bright yellows, Lopez starred in chartreuse with a baby capelet that had everyone talking.
8. Olivia Wilde in Michael Kors Collection
Shiny sequins, a bold merlot, and plenty of exposure—Wilde checked all the boxes on the night’s trend list.
9. Tariji P. Henson in Stella McCartney
Modern, fresh, and clean—a reminder that every actress is not the same as her character.
10. Maggie Gyllenhaal in Marc Jacobs
A case for taking chances on graphic prints and treatments, Gyllenhaal rolled the dice and came up a winner.